As I prepare for the mission trip, I was recently reminded of the Great Controversy that surrounds us—which will ultimately be won in God's favor (Revelation 20:10)—and how important it is to be open to God's leading.
John (not his real name) was a young military veteran. The town where I live does not have a proper public transportation system, so I call one of the local taxi services to take me where I need to go. Having used this particular taxi service for over a year, you get to know some of the drivers, and John was one such driver. He was a young man, most likely in his mid-to-late-20's and a veteran who spent a few years overseas. From our conversations, I could sense that John was searching for a deeper purpose in life. He listened intently when I talked to him about God and the Bible. The Holy Spirit impressed me to give him a copy of The Great Hope along with my phone number, so that he could get in contact with me if he had any questions or desired further study.
A few months passed before I saw John again, but when I did, things had changed. No more did I sense that openness to the Word of God; it was as if the devil had enveloped him in darkness.
Recently, I got a ride home with one of John's colleagues who told me the sad news: John committed suicide. I had a mix of emotions: sadness, shock and bewilderment, to name a few. How could this have happened?! In spite of this tragedy, God comforted me, because even though John ultimately gave in to the devil's lie, He still used me to reach out to him with a message of hope.
My admonition to you is to be open to God's leading, because you never know what impact your witness could be on a person's eternal destiny.
No comments:
Post a Comment